Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Birthday

Today is my birthday! The number is a bit scary. It's funny...I don't think of myself as being this "old." Ha ha. My prayer this morning was to not waste this day. I guess it is normal when you have a birthday to look back over the years and wonder if your life has mattered.
Has my life been successful? I guess that depends on how you define success. If it is based on fame and fortune, then probably not. At least not fame. Although after speaking at The Cove Church a month ago I am being recognized in stores around town. That has been a weird experience for me to have total strangers come up to me and say… “Aren’t you the one I saw speak the other week at The Cove?” After picking up 17 year roots in Ohio and planting a new life in North Carolina and never recognizing a soul when I go out , this has made me feel a little more like home here.


Successful as far as fortune? I am blessed. I have not only what I need, but far more. It is good to be financially blessed but not nearly as good as being blessed by love. I have a wonderful husband, 3 terrific adult children, a grandson and a multitude of great friends in every state I have lived in (Ohio, Michigan, Texas and NC).


But my idea of success now adays is weighed in a different way. Am I successful in what I have been created to do? Now that is the real question. What good is a can opener if it doesn’t open cans? Or a waffle maker that doesn’t make waffles? Or a lamp that doesn’t light?


So what have I been created to do? The same thing that you and all creation have been created for...to worship God. Wow, all the years of “trying to find myself and trying to find my purpose in life” and it comes down to being this simple. I am here to know God and make Him known. And bring glory to Him.


So this day I want work towards this goal. I want this year to be my most successful year ever!!


Believing in God in my opinion is in everyone’s heart in some individuals is a weak luminous buried and covered by a thick crust, in others it is a light that “infects” people around you. (-Beth Moore)


I want to infect others!! And in doing that, I will be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment